Moissanite is a popular diamond alternative that is often used in engagement rings and other fine jewelry. Moissanite is less expensive than a diamond, but it has many of the same qualities, including durability, brilliance, and fire. However, because moissanite is less expensive, it is sometimes sold as a fake diamond. In this article, we will help you learn how to identify fake vs. real moissanite diamonds. We will also give you some tips on how to avoid buying a fake moissanite diamond.
What is Moissanite?
Moissanite diamond is a lab-created near-identical alternative to diamonds. It has many of the same qualities as diamonds, including brilliance and durability. Moissanite is more durable than many other types of diamonds. It is often used in engagement rings and other types of jewelry, including earrings, pendants, and rings.
The Difference Between Fake and Real Moissanite
Fake moissanite diamonds will often be less expensive than real moissanite. However, real moissanite is still less expensive than diamonds. Some other ways you can tell real moissanite from fake moissanite include:
- The price of the diamond – If you find a moissanite diamond for a price that is too good to be true, it’s likely a fake. Real moissanite diamonds won’t be as cheap as fake moissanite diamonds.
- Shape and cut – Real moissanite diamonds will usually have round and princess cut shapes. Fake moissanite diamonds will have different shapes, including square, triangle, and heart. In addition, the cut of real moissanite diamonds will most often be “ideal” or “excellent.”
- Gem clarity – Real moissanite diamonds will have a “very good” or “excellent” clarity. Fake moissanite diamonds will have a lower clarity, often “fair” or “poor.”
- Gem weight – A real moissanite diamond will have a specific gem weight. Fake moissanite diamonds will have a gem weight that is too low.
- Gem color – Real moissanite diamonds will have a color that is too light to be considered “very good.” Fake moissanite diamonds will have a color that is too dark to be considered “very good.”
- Appearance – Real moissanite diamonds will have an appearance that is mostly consistent. Fake moissanite diamonds will have an appearance that is inconsistent.
- Gem certification – Real moissanite diamonds will be certified by an independent gem lab. Fake moissanite diamonds will often not be certified.
How to Identify Fake Moissanite
- Real moissanite diamonds should be more expensive than fake diamonds, as they are more difficult to produce. The price of the diamond is a good indicator of whether it is real or fake. The weight and appearance of the diamond are also good indicators of whether it is real or fake. If the gem certification is not listed, there is a chance the diamond is fake.
Moissanite can be hard to tell apart from a diamond. You can avoid buying a fake moissanite diamond by learning what real moissanite is and how to spot the differences.